Baghdad, Dec 8 (AP) A rocket attack on the sprawling US Embassy in Baghdad caused minor damage but no casualties Friday morning, US and Iraqi officials said.

The attack is the first on the embassy located in the heavily fortified Green Zone of Iraq's capital to be confirmed since the beginning of the Israel-Hamas war. The Green Zone houses Iraqi government buildings and embassies on the west bank of the Tigris River.

Also Read | Russia Presidential Election 2024: Russian President Vladimir Putin To Seek Re-Election for His Third Consecutive Term.

Iran-backed militias in Iraq have claimed responsibility for dozens of attacks that targeted bases housing US troops in Iraq and Syria since Israel declared war on Hamas two months ago.

The US military says 78 attacks have been carried out against US facilities over the past weeks, of which 37 were in Iraq and 41 in Syria.

Also Read | Israel-Hamas War: Six Palestinians Killed by Israeli Army at Refugee Camp in West Bank.

An Iraqi security official said 14 Katyusha rockets were fired on Friday, of which some struck near one of the US Embassy's gates while others fell in the river. The official said the rocket attack caused material damage but no casualties.

A US military official said a multi-rocket attack was launched at American and coalition forces in the vicinity of the embassy complex and the Union III base, which houses offices of the US-led coalition. The official added that no casualties and no damage to infrastructure were reported.

An embassy spokesperson said the US Embassy was attacked by two salvos of rockets at approximately 4:15 a.m. (0215 GMT).

“Assessments are ongoing, but there are no reported casualties on the embassy compound,” the official said, adding that no specific group had claimed responsibility for firing the rockets as of Friday morning but early indications pointed to Iran-aligned militias.

“We again call on the government of Iraq, as we have done on many occasions, to do all in its power to protect diplomatic and Coalition partner personnel and facilities,” the official said. “We reiterate that we reserve the right to self-defense and to protect our personnel anywhere in the world.”

The three officials spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani said in a statement that “targeting diplomatic missions is something that cannot be justified". He called the attack an “insult to Iraq, its stability and security”, and promised to “pursue the perpetratrors of the attack ...and bring them to justice”.

Sudani came to power with the support of a coalition of Iran-backed parties. But he also wants continued good relations with the US and has backed the ongoing presence of American troops in his country.

While no group claimed responsibility for the embassy attack, the Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an umbrella group of Iran-backed militias, issued statements claiming separate attacks Friday on the al-Asad airbase in western Iraq, which is used by US forces, and on a base located at the Conoco gas field in eastern Syria.

There are roughly 2,500 US troops in Iraq and around 900 others in eastern Syria, on missions against the Islamic State group. In both countries, Iran has militias loyal to Tehran.

In response to attacks against American troops, the US has retaliated with airstrikes three times in Syria since October 17, targeting weapons depots and other facilities linked directly to Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps and the militias.

The US also struck multiple sites in Iraq late last month after a militia group for the first time fired short-range ballistic missiles at US forces at al Asad air base. (AP)

(This is an unedited and auto-generated story from Syndicated News feed, LatestLY Staff may not have modified or edited the content body)