Peshawar, Dec 2 (PTI) At least eight people were killed and 26 others injured when terrorists opened fire on a passenger bus in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir's Gilgit Baltistan region on Saturday, police said.
The bus was travelling from Gilgit to Rawalpindi when terrorists opened indiscriminate fire at around 6:30 p.m. in Chilas, an official said.
The driver lost control after the attack and the bus collided with a truck coming from the opposite side, the official said.
Deputy Commissioner Chilas Arif Ahmed said five of the eight people killed in the attack were identified so far.
Also Read | Earthquake in Philippines: Quake of Magnitude 7.6 on Richter Scale Hits Mindanao; Tsunami Warning Issued.
He said 26 others were injured and shifted to a nearby hospital.
Two army soldiers, who were in the bus, were also among the dead and one personnel of the Special Protection Unit was injured in the attack, the Deputy Commissioner said.
He said most of the people belonged to Kohistan, Peshawar, Ghizer, Chilas, Roundu, Skardu, Mansehra, and Swabi regions and one or two people were from Sindh.
The assailants managed to escape from the scene after the attack.
It said the condition of several persons is critical and that the death toll is expected to rise further.
The police said an investigation has been launched into the attack and a search operation is on to apprehend the terrorists.
Nobody has so far taken responsibility for the attack but the region has a history of terror attacks by militants.
Gunmen stormed a camping site of climbers in Gilgit Baltistan in 2013 and killed nine foreigners.
(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)













Quickly


