Seoul [South Korea], January 17 (ANI): North Korea has launched an unidentified projectile in the direction of the Sea of Japan, media reports said on Monday on what is reportedly Pyongyang's fourth missile test this month.

Citing the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), South Korean news agency Yonhap said that the launch of the projectile toward the East Sea (Sea of Japan) was announced in a text message sent to reporters.

Also Read | UK Considers Scrapping All COVID-19 Tests for Vaccinated Travellers.

No further details were provided, the report added.

The Japanese Kyodo news agency said that North Korea "may have launched a ballistic missile."

Also Read | Davos Agenda Summit 2022: PM Narendra Modi, Chinese President Xi Jinping to Deliver Special Addresses Tomorrow.

The Japan Coast Guard said that there had been a possible ballistic missile launch on the part of North Korea and advised ships not to approach unidentified objects at sea.

After reports of missile launches emerged, the Prime Minister's Office of Japan issued instructions asking for maximum effort to gather and analyze information regarding the incident.

"Ensure the safety of aircraft, vessels, and other assets," PM's Office of Japan said in a tweet. "Take all possible measures for precaution, including readiness for contingencies," the PM office added.

Last week, North Korea had said its railway-based missile regiment conducted a firing drill, with two tactical guided missiles hitting a set target in the East Sea. (ANI)

(The above story is verified and authored by ANI staff, ANI is South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 100 bureaus in India, South Asia and across the globe. ANI brings the latest news on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Sports, Health, Fitness, Entertainment, & News. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)