Fatehveer Singh, Rescued From 150-Foot-Deep Borewell After 110 Hours, Dies
Fatehveer Singh (Photo Credits: IANS)

Sangrur, June 11: Fatehveer Singh, who was rescued from a 150-foot-deep abandoned borewell in a village in Punjab's Sangrur district, died on Tuesday. "Why was he taken to the hospital when he is no more," Rohi Singh, toddler's grandfather, told reporters on the spot. Fatehveer Singh was retrieved by rescuers early this morning. The victim turned two yesterday.

After being rescued, Fatehveer Singh was rushed to a hospital. Rohi Singh said claimed that the body of the child had grievous wounds. The two-year-old had stumbled into the borewell that was covered with cement bags on June 6. A movement in the child's body was noticed at 5 am on Saturday, almost 40 hours after he fell into the borewell.

Reacting to the child's death, Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh tweeted: "Very sad to hear about tragic death of young Fatehveer. I pray Waheguru grants his family strength to bear this huge loss. Have sought reports from all DCs regarding any open bore well, so such terrible accidents can be prevented in future."

No movement in Fatehveer's body was noticed since Saturday.  An adequate supply of oxygen inside the well was provided and a camera was also used to monitor his condition. A team of doctors and ambulances were stationed at the spot to provide emergency aid to the toddler. However, lack of expertise and technical snags reportedly delayed the rescue operation. Amarinder Singh Orders Closure of All Borewells in Punjab.

Teams of NDRF, the Army and the district administration had worked day and night in a tunnel that was dug parallel to the abandoned borewell in a bid to save the child. The rescue team was comprised of 26 members of the NDRF, the army and the district administration staff.

In view of the incident, Amarinder Singh on Monday directed Deputy Commissioners to ensure no open borewell existed in any of the districts and asked them to submit a report within 24 hours.