Mumbai: 247 Students of a BMC School in Govandi Hospitalised Due to Food Poisoning, 1 Child Dead
Parents of the admitted children at the Rajawadi Hospital in Ghatkopar | (Photo Credits: Twitter/@SweetyAdimulam)

Mumbai, Aug 10: At least one child was dead and 247 other students of a BMC-run school in Govandi were admitted due to food poisoning, reports said on Friday.

The deceased, identified as 12-year-old girl Chandini Sahil Shaikh, was a student of BMC Urdu School Number 1. 211 students of the same school have been rushed to the Rajawadi Hospital in Ghatkopar, whereas, 36 others are being treated at the Shatabdi Hospital.

Preliminary reports claim the students fall sick after they were provided a deworming tablet by the school authorities. According to the police, the children showed symptoms of nausea and extreme food poisoning immediately after consuming the tablet.

Heavy police security has been deployed outside the Rajawadi Hospital run by municipality as the parents of the admitted children attempted to create ruckus.

Speaking to reporters, the parents said the school authorities, including the principal, should be immediately arrested for "gross negligence" which has claimed a child's life so far.

The deceased girl, however, was not among the students who were rushed to the hospital today. Reports claim she was given the medicine two days ago, which led to her death today.