As we know, India is the world's largest democracy, which is unique in a number of aspects, reflecting the country's diverse history, culture, and socio-political dynamics. The country’s democracy accommodates a staggering diversity of languages, religions, cultures, and ethnicities. The federal structure allows the Indian states to have their own cultural, linguistic, and administrative identities, whereas the political system accommodates diverse political parties, reflecting the country's linguistic, cultural, and regional diversity. In this article, let’s see how Indian democracy is unique compared to the rest of the world. 75th Republic Day 2024 Date, Theme, History & Significance: All You Need To Know About the Day on Which the Constitution of India Came Into Effect.
75th Republic Day 2024: Know What Makes India Unique From Rest Of The World
Here are some factors that make Indian democracy stand apart from the rest.
- India follows a parliamentary system of government where the executive is drawn from the elected legislature. The President is the ceremonial head of state, while the Prime Minister is the head of government.
- The Indian Constitution guarantees freedom of religion and promotes secularism. The state does not endorse any particular religion, and citizens are free to practice and propagate their faiths without discrimination.
- India is a federal republic with a clear division of powers between the central government and individual states. Each state has its own government, constitution, and legislature.
- India has implemented affirmative action policies, including reservations in education and public employment for historically marginalized communities (scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, and other backward classes), to address historical inequalities.
- India boasts an independent judiciary, with the Supreme Court serving as the ultimate interpreter of the Constitution.
- The judiciary plays a crucial role in upholding the rule of law and protecting fundamental rights.
While the country faces a few challenges like corruption, poverty, and unemployment, its unique features highlight the adaptability of the democratic system and a dynamic nation.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Jan 25, 2024 06:22 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).