Say yes to all the festivities coming our way as the year almost comes to an end. As we are done with Navratri, devotees wait excitedly for Sharad Purnima that is also known as Kojagiri Purnima, 'Maharas', 'Raas Purnima' 'Maha Raas Leela', 'Kaumudi Vrat' and 'Kumar Purnima'. The full moon holds a special and mysterious significance amongst the Hindus. You may have heard of the Sharad Purnima kheer(rice pudding) today we will talk about why this kheer is so auspicious, having immense benefits and about the mystery that surrounds it. It is believed that on this full moon day earth experiences the rain of nectar and to get the taste this nectar, Sharad Purnima Kheer is made on the night and kept in the light of the moon.
Let us know the method of making Sharad Purnima Kheer, its significance and telltale benefits. If you are wondering when is Purnima celebrated that it is done on the date of Shukla Paksha of Ashwin month is called Sharad Purnima or Ashwin Purnima aka October, 30 2020. The full moon is also called Kojagari Purnima and it is said that Maa Lakshmi comes to your house if worshipped along with Lord Vishnu on this full moon day. This time this full moon is on 30 October 2020. It is also said that on this day Mother Lakshmi roams the earth at night. Hence it has been named as Kojagari Purnima. Amritvarsha aka the supposed rain of nectar also known as Amrit(something that makes you live forever) occurs. In the Bengali community, a special statue of Goddess Lakshmi is installed and worshipped at the place of Durga Puja on the day of Kojagari Lokkhi Puja. Sharad Purnima 2020 Good Luck Tips: 5 Things One Should Do During Kojagiri Lakshmi Puja to Gain Wealth and Prosperity.
Sharad Purnima Date And Shubh Muhurat:
Sharad Purnima date starts - 05th of October, 45 minutes
Sharad Purnima date ends - 31 October at 08:18
Recipe for Sharad Purnima Kheer
- In a vessel, boil the milk till it thickens and reduces to a quarter.
- Add about half a cup of washed rice or in a ration that works according to the amount of milk you have. Remember that the size of rice will grow as it softens so keep that in mind.
- Keep stirring this mixture with a ladle until the rice is cooked.
- Once the rice is cooked well, add sugar as per taste.
- After some time add cardamom powder and dry fruits in the kheer according to taste as well.
- Stir the kheer for 5 more minutes and then turn off the gas.
Here's a Sharad Purnima Kheer Recipe Video:
Significance of Eating Sharad Purnima Kheer
This full moon day of Ashwin month holds high religious importance and it is believed that Devraj Indra, sitting on Airavat on Sharad Purnima night, comes to Earth with Mahalakshmi and see who is awake and in need of blessings from them. All beings in the past including Sri Krishna and Radha have eagerly waited for Sharad Purnima. Right from gods to humans and even animals and birds, all are impacted by Sharad Purnima it is said.
Benefits of eating Sharad Purnima Kheer
1. It is believed that Sharad Purnima Kheer is extremely beneficial for asthma patients. While there is no scientific backing, it is what the legends have.
2. Along with asthma patients, Sharad Purnima Kheer is also said to be beneficial for people suffering from skin diseases.
3. This Kheer also benefits people suffering from eye-related diseases as it is said that just like the moon of Sharad Purnima that is very bright gives people with low eyesight some of its shine.
4. Along with providing benefits in eyes, asthma and skin diseases, the moon and kheer of Sharad Purnima bring in good luck and prosperity in life.
This year due to coronavirus mass celebration won't take place. One must celebrate the day at home with this auspicious kheer and prayers.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Oct 27, 2020 04:36 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).