World Cancer Day, observed on February 4th each year, serves as a global initiative to raise awareness, encourage prevention, and promote early detection and treatment of various types of cancer. World Cancer Day 2024 falls on Sunday this year. In this article, we will focus on cervical cancer, understanding why World Cancer Day is crucial, and recognising the warning signs that should not be overlooked. World Cancer Day 2024 Date, Theme, History and Significance: Know About the Day That Raises Awareness of Cancer and Encourages Its Prevention, Detection, and Treatment.
World Cancer Day is celebrated to unite people, organisations, and governments worldwide in the fight against cancer. The day aims to raise awareness about cancer prevention, early detection, treatment, and the importance of support for those affected by the disease. It provides a platform for individuals and communities to take action, fostering a collaborative effort to reduce the global burden of cancer.
What is Cervical Cancer?
Cervical cancer is a type of cancer that occurs in the cells of the cervix – the lower part of the uterus that connects to the vagina. In many cases, cervical cancer is caused by persistent infection with high-risk types of human papillomavirus (HPV), a common sexually transmitted infection. Cervical Cancer Symptoms, Visible Signs, Causes and Treatment: All You Need To Know the Cancer That Starts in the Cells of the Cervix.
Warning Signs of Cervical Cancer
1. Abnormal Vaginal Bleeding: Unusual bleeding between menstrual periods, after menopause, or post-sexual intercourse can be an early sign of cervical cancer. It is essential to consult a healthcare professional if you experience any irregular bleeding.
2. Pelvic Pain or Discomfort: Persistent pain or discomfort in the pelvic region, unrelated to menstruation or physical activity, may be a symptom of cervical cancer. Any unexplained pain should be evaluated by a healthcare provider.
3. Pain During Sexual Intercourse: Pain or discomfort during sexual intercourse, known as dyspareunia, can be an indication of various health issues, including cervical cancer. It is crucial to address this symptom with a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis.
4. Unexplained Weight Loss: Significant and unexplained weight loss without changes in diet or exercise may be a warning sign of various health conditions, including cervical cancer. A healthcare provider should be consulted to investigate the cause.
5. Changes in Bowel or Urinary Habits: Cervical cancer may cause changes in bowel or urinary habits, such as constipation, difficulty urinating, or increased frequency. If these changes persist, it is important to seek medical attention.
6. Fatigue: Persistent fatigue that is not alleviated by rest or sleep can be a symptom of cervical cancer. Fatigue is a general symptom and can indicate various health conditions, warranting medical evaluation.
World Cancer Day serves as a reminder that education and awareness are crucial in the fight against cancer. Understanding the warning signs of cervical cancer empowers individuals to prioritise their health and seek timely medical attention. Regular screenings, vaccination against HPV, and a healthy lifestyle are essential components of cervical cancer prevention. By spreading knowledge and encouraging proactive healthcare, we can contribute to a world where cervical cancer is both preventable and treatable.
(This article is written for an informative purpose and should not be substituted for medical advice. Kindly consult your doctor before trying any tips.)
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Feb 04, 2024 07:14 AM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).