Agency News

India News | Eknath Shinde Enquires About Sukhbir Singh Badal's Health After Nanded Gurdwara Attack

Get latest articles and stories on India at LatestLY. Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde spoke to Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) chief Sukhbir Singh Badal over the phone and enquired about his health after the latter was attacked at a gurdwara in Nanded, the Deputy Chief Minister's Office said on Thursday.

India News | Eknath Shinde Enquires About Sukhbir Singh Badal's Health After Nanded Gurdwara Attack
Maharashtra Deputy CM Eknath Shinde speaks to SAD chief Sukhbir Singh Badal, enquires about his health after Nanded Gurdwara attack (Photo: DCMO)

Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], August 13 (ANI): Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde spoke to Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) chief Sukhbir Singh Badal over the phone and enquired about his health after the latter was allegedly attacked at a gurdwara in Nanded, his Office said on Thursday.

Badal was attacked at Gurudwara Mata Sahib Devaji in Mugat village of Nanded district after completing darshan and while coming down the gurdwara steps. According to Nanded Police, the incident took place at around 1:50 pm.

Also Read | Chamoli Tunnel Collapse: Several Workers Trapped at THDC Project, 10 Rescued; Rescue Ops Underway (Videos).

Badal suffered a wound of around four to five centimetres on his right forearm after a Sikh sewadar allegedly attacked him with a dagger. A Special Protection Unit police officer was also injured while attempting to protect him.

Nanded District Collector Rahul Kardele said Badal and the injured police officer were stable and out of danger.

Also Read | Perseid Meteor Shower 2026: What Time Is the Peak in India, US and Other Countries?.

The accused was taken into police custody and further legal action is underway.

Meanwhile, SAD leader Gulzar Singh Ranike described the attack as a "deliberate act" and a "calculated conspiracy". He urged the Central Government to order a CBI inquiry and called upon the state government to use its agencies to investigate the incident.

"It appears to be a deliberate act, a calculated conspiracy. I urge the Central Government to order a serious CBI inquiry, and I also call upon the State Government to utilise its own agencies to investigate the matter," he told ANI.

Furthermore, Haryana Chief Minister Nayab Singh Saini condemned the attack and said such incidents should not occur at places of religious reverence. He said grievances should be voiced and discussed so that they can be resolved.

"Such incidents are condemnable. I understand that the person who carried out the attack has likely been arrested. However, such incidents should not occur. If there is an issue, it should be voiced or discussed, so that a resolution can be found. When someone visits a place out of reverence, such an incident casts a shadow of doubt on that very spirit of devotion. After all, these are the abodes of the Gurus, and the Gurus established them for the entire community," Saini said while addressing a press conference.

Earlier, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis ordered an inquiry into the incident and sought information from the Nanded Superintendent of Police. He also spoke to Badal over the phone and enquired about his health.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi also spoke to Badal's wife, Harsimrat Kaur Badal, over the phone and enquired about the SAD chief's health following the attack, sources said.

The incident has drawn condemnation from several SAD leaders. Party leader Daljit Singh Cheema described it as the second life-threatening attack on Badal within a short period and alleged a major intelligence and security failure.

The latest incident comes nearly two years after Badal was targeted in an attempted shooting at the Golden Temple in Amritsar in December 2024 while performing 'seva'. The attacker, Narain Singh Chaura, was overpowered before he could cause harm.

Badal had been performing the religious service after the Akal Takht declared him a "tankhaiya" over decisions taken during the SAD-led Punjab government between 2007 and 2017. (ANI)

(The above story is verified and authored by ANI staff, ANI is South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 100 bureaus in India, South Asia and across the globe. ANI brings the latest news on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Sports, Health, Fitness, Entertainment, & News. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)