Agency News

World News | Proposed Programme Not Appropriate: MEA on Denial of Permission for Telangana CM's US Visit

Get latest articles and stories on World at LatestLY. The Ministry of External Affairs on Friday clarified that the proposed programme for Telangana Chief Minister Revanth Reddy's visit to the United States was not considered appropriate "to the office held and the purpose of the visit", and therefore political clearance was not granted.

World News | Proposed Programme Not Appropriate: MEA on Denial of Permission for Telangana CM's US Visit
MEA offical spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal (Photo/Youtube@Ministry of External Affairs)

New Delhi [India], August 21 (ANI): The Ministry of External Affairs on Friday clarified that the proposed programme for Telangana Chief Minister Revanth Reddy's visit to the United States was not considered appropriate "to the office held and the purpose of the visit", and therefore political clearance was not granted.

Responding to a question on Telangana Chief Minister being denied political clearance for his proposed US visit, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said visits by Chief Ministers and other dignitaries are assessed by the ministry before political clearance is accorded.

Also Read | 'Niu Lai' Singapore Screening: Viral Chinese Animation Film's Southeast Asia Premiere on THIS Date.

"Let me say that the visits of Chief Ministers, as with other dignitaries, are assessed by the Ministry of External Affairs to accord political clearance. The programme proposed in such cases should be appropriate to the office held and the purpose of the visit. In this particular case regarding the United States, that was not so, and therefore the clearance was not given," Jaiswal said.

He, however, clarified that political clearance had been granted for Revanth Reddy's visit to the United Kingdom.

Also Read | Bharat Beyond Borders 2.0: FIA Hosts India Day Gala at Cipriani Wall Street.

"Incidentally, let me also tell you that clearance was given for his visit to the United Kingdom," the MEA spokesperson said.

The MEA's response comes after Telangana Chief Minister Revanth Reddy, earlier today, claimed that the Centre had denied permission for his proposed visit to the US, forcing the Telangana Rising delegation to cancel the US leg of its tour.

According to the Telangana Chief Minister's Office, the state government had sought central clearance for the Chief Minister's proposed visits to the UK and the US, but permission was granted only for the UK leg.

The CMO said the state government was informed about the denial of permission for the US visit after the official delegation had reached the UK.

The Chief Minister's Office said Revanth Reddy will now return to Hyderabad from London on August 23 instead of travelling to Boston.

Revanth Reddy had said that the proposed US visit was aimed at bringing leading global educational institutions to Telangana and Hyderabad and exploring partnerships with institutions including Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Northeastern University and Virginia Tech.

"The only purpose of the visit was, as part of the New Education Policy of the Centre, to bring the world's best institutions to India, to Telangana, to Hyderabad," the Chief Minister said.

He said such partnerships would help address the aspirations of young people seeking access to education, skills and training from leading global institutions.

"I have always believed we should all think beyond politics and elections when it comes to nation-building and the future of the youth," Reddy added.

The Chief Minister said he was shocked by what he described as a "political denial" of permission for the proposed visit, but said he had decided to comply with the Centre's decision and return to India from London.

Despite the cancellation, he instructed officials to continue pursuing proposed partnerships with leading educational institutions in the US.

Meanwhile, the MEA spokesperson also addressed a separate question regarding the External Publicity (XP) Division's move from Shastri Bhawan to the Samrat Hotel premises.

Jaiswal said the ministry had "very fond memories" of its interactions with the media at Shastri Bhawan, where the division had been located for decades.

"Obviously, that emotional touch will remain, but we look forward to working with you in our new premises," he said. (ANI)

(The above story is verified and authored by ANI staff, ANI is South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 100 bureaus in India, South Asia and across the globe. ANI brings the latest news on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Sports, Health, Fitness, Entertainment, & News. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)