Kolkata, November 17: A fire broke out at an under construction residential skyscraper in West Bengal's Kolkata city on Saturday evening. At least three fire tenders were rushed to douse raging fire at 'The 42', the under construction skyscraper in Kolkata. 'The 42' happens to be the tallest building in Kolkata and is located on Chowringhee Road.
The 879-feet structure accommodates 63 floors. Visuals from the spot showed fire engulfing couple of floors of the high-rise structure. “The fire spread from the nets. The flames have been brought under control,” JagMohan, director general, fire and emergency services, told Hindustan Times. The cause of the fire was not immediately known.
Kolkata mayor Sovan Chatterjee, who visited the sport said: “Welding work was going on to install outdoor units of air conditioner machines. Sparks from the welding might have triggered the fire. However the nets should have been made of fire proof material." No casualties were reported in the fire incident. Construction work at the 'The 42' site began in 2008.