Malegaon, October 27: A major fire broke out at a slum in Malegaon, a small town in Maharashtra's Nashik district, on Saturday evening. The fire gutted more than 100 shanties, local media reported. Although the exact cause of the fire was not immediately known, a short circuit could be the reason.

"A fire broke out at Nag Chap slum behind a bank near Mushawarat Chowk at around 4 pm. More than 100 shantied have been gutted in the fire. No injuries or casualties were reported so far," Mukhtar Adeel, a local reporter told Latestly. Visuals from the spot show tall flames ripping through the structure and thick black smoke billowing into the air.

The fire left scores homeless in the city. Over two dozen fire tenders were deployed to douse the raging fire. Fire tenders were also called from neighbouring cities, the fire department said. Further details were awaited.

(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Oct 27, 2018 07:40 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website