Nitin Gadkari Hopeful of India Soon Starting 'Full Operations at Iran's Chabahar Port'
File image of Union Minister Nitin Gadkari | (Photo Credits: PTI)

New Delhi, January 8: Following his bilateral meeting with Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif, Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari on Tuesday said India is hopeful of soon starting full operations at the Chabahar port. The teething issues, including the financial disputes, would be resolved in the next few days, Gadkari claimed.

Under the pact inked between India and Iran in 2016, the former had agreed to buy a 600-metre (1,969 feet) cargo terminal and a 640-metre container terminal at the port, developed by New Delhi in Shahid Beheshti area in Chabahar. US Exempts India From Certain Sanctions Over Chabahar Port in Iran to Help Afghan Economy.

Apart from building and operating the two terminals, India had also committed to develop five additional berths. Their construction, however, was delayed due to the sanctions being re-imposed on Tehran by US President Donald Trump last year.

According to an Iranian government official, Tehran has also pitched New delhi to consider giving a nod to the ambitious Iran-Pakistan-India gas pipeline project.

"It's a practical idea. It will cement peacefully relation in these three countries. We are an important neighbour. Security feasibility is much more apparent. I believe that was a brilliant idea started," the Iranian official told news agency ANI.

On further information, the source informed that the US is 'threatening' Iran.

"They found they are powerless in their own continent. Europe+China+India is much larger than the US. US global power is a bubble. Bubbles burst if you push in too much air. Obama tried to inject realism in the region. The photo opportunity is a liability for us," the source said adding that "engagement with US is not in the realm of possibility right now."

(With ANI inputs)