Rajinikanth Not to Contest Lok Sabha Elections 2019, Warns Media Not to Use His Photograph or Party Symbol for Any Propaganda
Rajinikanth (Photo Credits: PTI)

Chennai, February 17: Actor-turned-politician Rajinikanth on Sunday confirmed that his party will not contest the upcoming Lok Sabha elections. According to a tweet by ANI, Rajinikanth warned the media not to use his photograph or party symbol for any propaganda. The 68-year-old actor had announced his entry into politics on December 31, 2017. "My party has no support in the upcoming parliamentary election to any parties. So no one should use my photo or flags in the name of Rajini makkal mandram and Rajini Fan Club should be used to support or campaign for any party," he said.

According to a report by ANI, he said the main problem in Tamil Nadu is the water. "In upcoming election who set up a stable, strong regime in the centre to solve water problem of Tamil Nadu and implement it people should believe them and must vote them," the statement read. Rajinikanth Meets Injured Anti-Sterlite Protestors in Thoothukudi Hospital. 

Reports inform that ever since Rajinikanth's entry into politics in 2017, he has been meeting people all over Tamil Nadu over various issues, including the kin of those who were killed during the anti-Sterlite protests that took place in Thoothukudi last year.

In December 2018, Rajnikanth said his new television channel would be launched soon. Rajnikanth-led Rajini Makkal Mandram party’s convenor VM Sudhakaran has initiated the process of registering the trademarks for the same. Sudhakaran has requested registering of trademarks in the name of ‘Superstar TV’, ‘Rajini TV’ and ‘Thalaivar TV’, all attributing to South Superstar Rajnikanth. Sudhakaran had submitted an application for the trademark to the Ministry of Commerce on 9th November 2018.