India’s most successful women bowler, Jhulan Goswami, has announced her retirement from the shortest format of the game. Goswani began her Twenty 20 International (T20I) career 12 years ago when India played their first match in August 2006. Unfortunately for India, she has decided to hang her boots, only three months before the Women’s World T20.

The veteran pacer has taken the most number of wickets for India in T20I too. In the 60 T20Is that she has played, Goswami has scalped 56 wickets.

Goswami’s best bowling performance in a T20I remains to be the five-wicket haul (3.5-1-11-5) she took against Australia in a winning cause in 2012. It also happens to be the best bowling figure for any Indian bowler in T20Is.

The last time she played a T20I was when India played against Bangladesh, i.e. the Asia Cup final match, where India lost it by three wickets. With India playing their last Test match, way back in 2014, it seems that she will be only playing in the One Day International (ODI) format.

Here's what BCCI tweeted:

Jhulan Goswami first broke into the international scene in 2002, where she made her ODI debut against England. Not many know that she also happens to be the leading wicket-taker in Women’s ODI format. In 169 matches that she has played in the blue jersey, Goswami has taken a total of 203 wickets.

It will be difficult for any bowler to fill the shoes of Jhulan Goswami. And with ICC Women World T20 only three months away, the Indian team would surely miss her presence.

As per the statement released by the Board for Control of Cricket in India (BCCI), it read, “Goswami thanked the BCCI and her teammates for all the love and support she garnered during her stint with the T20I team and wished them luck going forward. BCCI and the entire Women’s national team wishes her the best and looks forward to her valuable contributions when she represents India in other two formats.”

(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Aug 23, 2018 03:55 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).