Jamaican athlete Usain Bolt is celebrating his birthday today. The eight-time Olympic gold medallist turned 33 on August 21, 2019. Bolt is one of the best athletes to ever born and he is widely considered as the greatest sprinter of all times. Bolt achievements in athletics are well-known but many few people know that the top sprinter is also a cricket lover. Usain Bolt Emerges Champion in Zero Gravity Race As Well, Beats Astronaut; Watch Video.
Bolt is a world record holder in 100 metres, 200 metres and 4 × 100 metres relay. Bolt became the only sprinter to win Olympic gold medals in 100 metre, 200 metre at consecutive Olympics in 2008, 2012 and 2016. Bolt accounted for nine Olympics gold medals before, however, he lost the 2008 relay gold medal due to a teammate's doping disqualification. As the top athlete celebrates his birthday today, we look at some of the lesser-known things which reveal about his connection with cricket.
- As a child, Usain Bolt used to play cricket and football. His cricket coach once saw his speed on the field and urged him to try track and field events.
- Usain Bolt has a great interest in cricket. He once said that if he were not a sprinter, he would be a fast bowler.
- As a child, Bolt was a supporter of Pakistan cricket team and appreciated the former Pakistani pacer Waqar Younis.
- During a charity cricket match in 2009, Bolt clean-bowled West Indies cricketer Chris Gayle. He also hit a six off Gayle’s bowling.
- Bolt is also a big fan of Twenty20 format of the cricket. Once he suggested former Australian spinner Shane Warne that he would be interested in playing Big Bash League.
These facts really prove that Bolt has a great interest in cricket. He is also a great fan of Sachin Tendulkar, Chris Gayle and Australian opener Matthew Hayden. Bolt has a lot of records on his name and he holds 19 Guinness World Records. Happy Birthday Usain Bolt!