Colombo, April 25: A day after President Maithripala Sirisena reprimanded the Sri Lanka Police Chief Pujith Jayasundara and Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando for failing to act on the intelligence alert received hours before the devastating terror attacks, the latter has submitted his resignation to the President's Office.
Sirisena had earlier in the day asked Jayasundara and Fernando to quit their posts, claiming that their lax response to the intel alerts allowed the jihadi bombers to execute their nefarious plan. Nine Pakistani Nationals Arrested in Connection With Suicide Bombings
Sirisena, while speaking to reporters on Tuesday, said the intel alerts were not passed on to him. He further assured to take strictest action against all erring officials.
Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe admitted that the police had received alert nearly 10 days ago, whereas, India had sent specific intelligence inputs at least two hours before the terrorist attack. "There have surely been lapses. A thorough inquiry would be conducted," he said.
The series of bombings on Easter Sunday left around 400 people dead. The deceased were mostly Christians, as the bombers targeted prominent churches in Colombo, Negombo and Batticaloa. Three explosions were also reported in luxury hotels.
More than 15 suspects have been arrested by the Lankan police following the attacks, with most of them being linked a local radical extremist outfit, the National Thowheed Jama'at (NJT).