Agency News

Sports News | India's Bangladesh Tour Awaits Government Clearance: BCCI Source

Get latest articles and stories on Sports at LatestLY. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is awaiting formal approval from the Indian government for the proposed tour of India's men's team to Bangladesh, a source in the BCCI said.

Sports News | India's Bangladesh Tour Awaits Government Clearance: BCCI Source
India and Bangladesh cricketers in action during a cricket match (Photo: ANI)

By Vipul Kashyap

New Delhi [India], August 13 (ANI): The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is awaiting formal approval from the Indian government for the proposed tour of India's men's team to Bangladesh, a source in the BCCI said.

Also Read | Fungus Outbreak At Balaidos Forces Postponement of Celta Vigo’s La Liga 2026-27 Opener Against Osasuna.

A BCCI source said the Bangladesh tour will go ahead only after government approval, with discussions currently underway with the Indian High Commission.

"The tour of Bangladesh will happen after government approval; we are in talks with the high commissioner. Our talks are on, but the final decision will come after the government's approval," a BCCI source told ANI.

Also Read | Anaya Bangar to Play in Women’s ‘Elite’ Cricket, Reveals Comeback in 2027.

The BCCI source said its relations with the BCB are now fine and the board is awaiting government approval for the tour. No window has been finalised for the series yet, but the window will be created if the government gives the go-ahead.

"Our terms with BCB are okay now, and we are looking for a go-ahead signal from our government. We have not decided a window for the series yet, but it will be created if we get approval for the same," said the BCCI source.

This comes after a strain in cricketing ties between India and Bangladesh earlier this year. The issue came to a head in January when the BCCI asked Kolkata Knight Riders to release Bangladesh fast bowler Mustafizur Rahman from their Indian Premier League 2026 squad amid violence against minorities in Bangladesh.

Mustafizur had been bought by KKR for Rs 9.20 crore at the December 2025 auction and was the only Bangladesh player picked that year. The BCCI later directed KKR to release him.

The move drew a strong reaction in Bangladesh. Within days, the BCB decided that its national team would not travel to India for the 2026 T20 World Cup, citing security concerns and advice from the Bangladesh government. The board also asked the ICC to move Bangladesh's matches out of India, which the ICC declined.

In April, the BCB held a meeting in Dhaka on Saturday, chaired by then-president Aminul Islam Bulbul, to discuss the board's relations with India.

The BCB said it had sent an email to its Indian counterpart as part of regular communication. The letter discussed the Indian team's proposed tour of Bangladesh in September, the Bangladesh women's team's tour of India, and further opportunities for cooperation between the BCCI and BCB. (ANI)

(The above story is verified and authored by ANI staff, ANI is South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 100 bureaus in India, South Asia and across the globe. ANI brings the latest news on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Sports, Health, Fitness, Entertainment, & News. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)