Mumbai, October 30: The Indian Railways has rolled out an even more transparent refund system for reserved e-tickets which are cancelled or which are fully wait-listed dropped tickets. According to a tweet by Central Railway, the Railways has rolled out an One Time Password (OTP) based system to help passengers get the refund in a transparent manner. The tickets that come under this system only include the ones that are booked through authorized railway ticketing agents.
The tweet added saying that this facility is applicable to only those e-tickets which are booked through Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) authorised agents. The objective of the scheme is to streamline the cancellation refund process further so that the cancellation amount is refunded timely to the customers by the agents. Indian Railways Freight Earnings Down by Rs 3,901 Crore in Q2 of FY 2019-20; Passenger Fare Income Declines by Rs 155 Crore: RTI.
Here's the tweet:
Railways has initiated a more transparent refund system for reserved e-tickets which are cancelled or which are fully waitlisted dropped tickets. It is an OTP based system. This system is applicable to those e-tickets which are booked through IRCTC authorised agents only. pic.twitter.com/WaLiWeKgcL
— Central Railway (@Central_Railway) October 29, 2019
Here's How Passengers Can Get Refund in Easy Steps:
- In order to get the benefit of the scheme, the customer should provide the correct mobile numbers of one of the passengers to the IRCTC authorised agent at the time of booking reserved rail e-tickets.
- Customers/ passengers should make sure that the agent records his or her mobile no. correctly at the time of booking reserved rail e-tickets.
- Customers to take note that only IRCTC authorised agents are permitted to book reserved rail e-tickets to the customer
- The One time Password (OTP) based refund for cancelled tickets or fully waitlisted dropped tickets, will be processed only if the ticket is booked through IRCTC authorised agents.
- The OTP will be received as SMS on the registered mobile number of the passenger (provided by the customer/passenger to the agent at the time of booking). The customer/passenger will be required to share the OTP with the agent who booked the ticket, for getting the refund amount.
The objective of the scheme introduced by the Indian Railways is to streamline the cancellation refund process further so that cancellation amount is refunded timely to the customer by the agents. Through this user friendly facility, passenger will come to know about the exact refund amount received by agent on his behalf against cancelled ticket or fully waitlisted dropped ticket.