Come Eid and we all get excited about the delicious food coming our way! Right from Mutton Biryani to sheek kebabs, everything edible about Eid is probably the best thing about the celebration, at least for the foodies LOL. This year will see Eid al-Fitr 2019 begin on the evening of Tuesday, 4 June and end on the evening of Wednesday, 5 June. While everything about Eid is dreamy and gets us all geared up, Sheer Khurma is the heart of it. This rich vermicelli pudding made with milk, lots of nuts, dates and sugar is what dreams are made of! While the literal meaning of sheer khurma is milk with dates, people usually make it with vermicelli aka seviyan and nuts. This sweet treat can be served both hot and cold, according to your preference. However, we believe that the best sheer khurma is the one made at home with lots of love. If you are planning to make Sheer Khurma at home this, here is an easy DIY sheer khurma recipe that you can try. Eid-ul-Fitr Special Recipes: Mouth-Watering Seviyan Preparations to Wish Eid Mubarak This Year.
Step-by-Step sheer khurma recipe
- Ghee- clarified butter
- Cashews, almonds, pistachios, raisins, dates, and other nuts of your choice.
- 1 cup vermicelli
- 100 gm cup grated mawa (dried milk rabdi-style)
- 1-liter whole milk
- Sugar to taste
- 1 spoon rose water (optional)
- A pinch of cardamom powder
- In a pan, heat ghee on medium heat and toss chopped nuts and raisins for a minute till they turn golden brown. Remove and keep them aside.
- In the same greased pan add seviyan (vermicelli) and toss till light brown(2-3 minutes)
- Add khoya/mawa to the roasted seviyan and wait for it to melt.
- Now add milk to the mix and keep stirring while keeping the flame low to medium. Make sure you keep stirring the mix so that lumps aren't formed.
- Once you see the milk thicken and reduce in like about 8-10 minutes, slowly mix sugar and keep stirring. Make sure to pour a little at a time.
- Add roasted nuts and the rose water and mix if you like it.
- Add cardamom powder and cook in low flame for 2-3 minutes. And ta-da!
Here's how to make Sheer Khurma at home (Watch video):
The most important thing to remember when you are making sheer khurma at home is that it is made with whole milk which is creamy to get the perfect consistency and taste. Also, ample dry fruits such as cashews, pistachios, almonds, etc, give it a crunchy taste and makes it yummier. Moreover, a lot also depends on how the dessert is served, many prefer it chilled while many love it warm.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on May 30, 2019 01:19 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).