The festive vibe has started kicking in with an important celebration of Diwali just around the corner. As Diwali 2019 will start with Choti Diwali on October 26, the preparations have already begun. Houses are being cleaned, Diwali shopping is being done and special delicacies for the festival have to be made. Called as the Diwali Faral, these are quintessential food items which are prepared in almost every household to welcome the guests that'd be visiting for the festive occasion. By now, we are sure mothers are asking their children to get home early so they can help in making the Chakli, Chiwda, Laddoos, Shankarpali and other sweets. If you are a first-timer at all this, then worry not, as we give you recipes of how to make chakli and besan laddoo for this festival. Diwali 2019 Healthy Recipes: Diabetic-Friendly, Low-Calorie, Sweets for Anyone with a Sweet Tooth.
Diwali Faral is a mix of sweet, spicy and crunchy recipes. There are a variety of dishes and the way of making also differs. Traditionally, every household would make all the said items and then exchange them among relatives, neighbours and friends. Over the years, not everyone may be preparing all the items, but it just feels incomplete to celebrate Diwali without the special recipes. Chakli, Chiwda and Laddoo are among the most favoured items by everyone. Today we give you the recipe of making Chakli and Besan ke laddoo.
How to Make Chakli for Diwali
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1.5 cups besan flour
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mango powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- In a bowl add in rice flour, black pepper, sesame seeds, salt and make soft dough by adding water.
- Now drizzle the melted butter.
- Rub the rice flour in between your fingers so that the flour is coated well.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan for deep frying. (MEDIUM HEAT)
- Grease the chakli maker from inside. Grease the Chakli attachment "star" disc too.
- Now form a log out of the dough as thick as the chakli maker and place it inside the maker. Attach the handle and secure it tightly.
- Keep a tray ready on which you will place the chakli spirals.
- Now roll the handle of the maker in a circular motion and extrude the dough making spirals.
- The size of the chakli depends on you. Just make sure that the spirals are not spaced out but an intact coil.
- Heat some oil and check if it is heated well by dipping in a tiny piece of dough.
- Once the oil is heated well, add in your chakli spirals one by one. Don't fry a lot of chaklis at once.
- Fry the chaklis until golden brown, keep turning them to fry equally.
- Place them on an absorbent paper to get rid of excess oil.
Watch Video of Chakli Recipe:
How to Make Besan Laddoo
- ¼ cup + 2 tsp ghee / clarified butter
- 1 cup besan /gram flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Cashews, brokenSteps
- In a thick heavy-bottomed nonstick pan heat ghee.
- Once the ghee begins to melt, add besan.
- Mix continuously, making sure the ghee is combined well with besan.
- Keeping the flame on low, stir continuously for atleast 25-30 minutes. Stir continuously keeping the flame on low.
- Keep stirring till the besan turns aromatic. Wait for besan to change colour to golden brown.
- Take off the flame and transfer the mixture to a bowl and let it cool.
- Add powdered sugar, cardamom powder and broken cashews.
- Prepare ladoos and garnish it with cashews.Watch Video of How to Make Besan Ladoos
So this Diwali make sure you are all prepped up to make these sweet and spicy Diwali recipes. Enjoy the lovely Diwali snacks with your friends and family.