New Delhi, Sep 25: Eating fruits is one of the most satisfying ways to tackle sweet-tooth cravings while meeting your nutritional needs. Despite many studies and research on fruit consumption in diabetes, there are a lot of speculations on the right kind of fruit consumption and its relation to blood sugar levels.
Eating seasonal and locally available fruit has many health benefits ranging from reducing sugar and inflammation levels to fighting high blood pressure -- thanks to their abundant vitamins and mineral presence! They are a powerhouse of antioxidants like vitamins A, B, C, E, and minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, and fiber. Autumn 2021: Boost Your Immunity and Stay Healthy With These Seasonal Fruits.
The fruits listed below are not just diabetic-friendly but are loaded with fiber and water content which can slow down the sugar spikes and sugar absorption rate.
1. Apples: They are not just nutritious and filling; According to a study, they are significantly associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes if consumed in moderation. Turns out there is a truth in the old saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away", after all!
2. Avocados: They are a great source of healthy fats and more than 20 vitamins and minerals. They are high in fiber as well, and have been linked with lowering the risk of diabetes.
3. Berries: Adding berries is one of the best ways to add variety to your diabetes-friendly diet. You can choose from blackberries, blueberries, or strawberries because all of them are power-packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and fibers.
4. Papaya: It is rich in natural oxidants, which makes it a perfect pick for people with diabetes. It reduces the chances of future cell damage.
5. Star Fruit: This sweet and sour fruit is rich in dietary fiber and vitamin C. It also positively impacts anti-inflammatory processes and can help repair cell damage, and it has minimal fruit sugars as well.
6. Kiwi: This fruit is an excellent source of Vitamin E, K, and potassium, and they are low in fruit sugars as well, which makes it a perfect diabetic-friendly fruit.
7. Melons (Musk Melon and Watermelon): Powerful hydrating fruits like cantaloupe and melons are recommended for people with diabetes, and people with the risk of developing diabetes. Eat-in moderation for multiple nutritional benefits like fiber, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B, and C.
8. Dragon Fruit: This fruit is full of dietary fibers, vital vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
9. Pear: They are nutrient-rich, and they are known to fight inflammation and improve digestion. Studies also suggest that consuming pears along with a healthy diet reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes.
10. Orange: This citrus fruit is full of fiber that helps slow down sugar absorption into the bloodstream, and its vitamin C component helps improve immunity levels.
Add fruit to your salads to enjoy their goodness with a sprinkle of cinnamon, it tastes better and reduces sugar spikes. Add nuts like walnuts and almonds to complement your fruit snack. you can also add flaxseeds to balance the glycemic load in the body.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Sep 26, 2021 01:52 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).