Indian girl Aishwarya Pissay made history after becoming first Indian woman to win a world title in motorsport. She won the FIM World Cup in women's category in Varpalota, Hungary. Pissay finished with the tally of 65 points and defeated Portugal's Rita Vieiera by four points in the overall standing. FIM World Cup: Aishwarya Pissay Becomes First Indian to Win a World Title in Motorsport.
The event was conducted by the International Motorcycling Federation. 23-year-old Pissay was sponsored by TVS Racing, Sidvin, Mountain Dew, Scott Motorsports India, K&N, Cult Sport and BigRock Dirt Park. Here we look at some facts about the Indian sportswoman.
- Aishwarya Pissay was born on August 14, 1995 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Pissay was attracted to racing at the age of 18 while taking small road trips near his hometown in Bengaluru.
- Pissay is the first Indian woman to win 5 National titles in Road Racing and Rally Championship combined.
- She was the first Indian woman to compete in Baja Aragon World Rally in Spain in 2018. She suffered a crash in the event and injured her pancreas for which she also underwent surgery.
- In 2016, Pissay won ‘TiE Young Achiever of the Year award’ and ‘outstanding women in Motorsports Award by FMSCI.
"It's absolutely overwhelming. I am out of words. After what happened last year, my first international season, when I crashed in Spain Baja and suffered career-threatening injuries, to come out and win the championship, is a great feeling”, the 23-year-old racer said after winning FIM World Cup. Pissay is an emerging Indian woman in the sport of racing. With her achievement in FIM World Cup, she has now become a global star and earned great popularity among Indian people.