Amit Panghal settled for a silver medal after going down 0-5 (by a unanimous verdict) to Shakhobidin Zoirov in 52kg category final of the 2019 World Boxing Championship. Panghal, despite the final defeat becomes the first Indian men's boxer to win a silver at the World Championships. Earlier, Panghal defeated Kazakhstan's Saken Bibossinov in the semi-final of AIBA World Boxing Championships 2019 on Friday. He won the game on a split decision (3-2) with a brilliant performance. With this, Amit Panghal scripted history by becoming first Indian male boxer to make to the finals of World Boximg Championships. The 23-year-old Indian boxer defeated Philippines' Carlo Paalam 4-1 in the quarter-finals.
Here are some outstanding achievements of Indian boxer Amit Panghal
- Panghal won a gold medal Asian Games 2018 in Jakarta in Light Flyweight event.
- He also won a silver medal in Commonwealth Games 2018 in Light Flyweight.
- In Asian Championships 2017 in Gold Coast, he won a bronze medal in Light Flyweight event.
- Asian Championships 2019 in Bangkok, he won a gold medal in Flyweight event.
- In 2018, he won a gold medal at the Strandzha Cup in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Panghal also won a gold medal in his debut National Boxing Championships in 2017.