Robin Uthappa is definitely known as one of the most explosive batsmen produced by Indian cricket. Uthappa caught the attention of the selectors after he made 66 for India B against India A in the Challenger Trophy in 2005. The following year, in the same tournament, Uthappa made match-winning 93-ball 100 against the same team which ushered him in the big league. Born on November 11, 1985, Uthappa made his debut on April 12, 2006, in the ODI vs England. On his birthday, let’s have a look at seven interesting facts of the batsman. 12 Years of India’s ICC T20 World Cup 2007 Victory: Here’s a Look at Forgotten Facts About the Memorable Triumph Under MS Dhoni’s Captaincy!
- Robin Uthappa hails from a sporting family. His father, Venu Uthappa is a former hockey umpire.
- Robin Uthappa had quite a successful debut as he made 86 runs as an opening
- The right-hander is nicknamed 'The Walking Assassin' for his tactic of charging the bowler.
- The Karnataka batsman holds the record for most consecutive 40+ scores in 8 games consecutively in IPL.
- Robin Uthappa was the second costliest player to be sold in auction in 2011. He was picked up by the then Pune Warriors for USD 2.1 million.
- Uthappa scored a match-winning half-century against arch-rivals Pakistan in the T20 World Cup 2007 in South Africa after India were struggling at 39/4. With this, he became the first Indian to score a fifty in a T20 International match.
- Robin Uthappa is currently the sixth-highest run-scorer in IPL of all time with 3778 runs.
As of now, he plays for the Kolkata Knight Riders in the IPL. We wish Robin Uthappa a very very Happy Birthday. May God bless him with the choicest of blessings and may his career soar further. Happy Birthday once again!