Ravichandran Ashwin, the Indian cricketer who has dominated international batsmen with his magical bowling, celebrates his birthday on Tuesday, September 17. The off-break bowler, who also plays for Tamil Nadu in domestic cricket, turns 33 today. Ashwin, who came to limelight with his magical bowling while playing for Chennai Super Kings in Indian Premier League, is also very magnificent with his bat. His skills in batting earned him a tag of ‘batting all-rounder’ too, and the right-arm bowler is also a dependable batsman to watch out for in the death overs. As Ravichandran Ashwin turns 33-year-old, we will take a glance at some lesser-known things to know about him. R Ashwin Stuns Cricket Fans With Strange Bowling Action During Tamil Nadu Premier League 2019 Dindigul Dragons vs Chepauk Super Gillies Match (Watch Video).
Ashwin has been a very successful bowler for India in Tests, ODIs and T20Is, and was also part of the Indian cricket team during ICC World Cup 2011. Ashwin showcased his powerful cricketing skills since his debut Test match itself, bagging 'Man of the Match Award' against West Indies in November 2011. He also became the fastest Indian bowler to clinch 50 wickets in Tests, surpassing Anil Kumble for the record in just 9 games. Kumble, a former Indian skipper and leg spinner, bagged 50 wickets his 10th Test match. Apart from R Ashwin's achievements, let’s have a look at some lesser-known things to know about the Indian cricketer. Did Ravichandran Ashwin Take a Sly Dig at KL Rahul & Hardik Pandya over Koffee With Karan 6 Fiasco?
- Apart from being a cricketer, Ashwin is also an engineer. Ashwin has a BTech degree in Information Technology (IT) from SSN College of Engineering, Chennai.
- His father, Ravichandran, was a fast bowler and played cricket at club level.
- Ashwin played as an opening batsman for India under 17. However, due to his poor form, he was replaced by Rohit Sharma for the spot. Then, he dropped himself down the batting order and turned into an off-break bowler.
- Ashwin married his childhood friend Prithi Narayanan on November 13, 2011. The couple has two daughters, Akhira and Aadhya.
- Ashwin was named 'ICC Test Player of the Year' and 'ICC Cricketer of the Year' in 2016. The Indian spinner was also honoured with Arjuna Award in 2014.
Well, these were some interesting things that some of you may or may not have known about Ravichandran Ashwin. Apart from bowling and batting, the Indian spinner has also donned the role of captain very well. In IPL tournaments, he has led Kings XI Punjab team. In Tamil Nadu Premier League 2019 (TNPL 2019), he was the captain of Dindigul Dragons. Ashwin has been the fastest Indian to reach 300 Test wickets. With 342 wickets and 4 centuries in 65 Test matches so far, Ashwin is really one of the greatest all-rounders to play for India. Happy Birthday Mr. All-Rounder R Ashwin!