Messaging app WhatsApp, owned by Facebook with over 1.3 billion users globally is looking for country head. This is the first full-time position for the app in India. The opportunity is based in Mumbai and the person will report to Matt Idema, Chief Operating Officer in California. The company needs the leader to represent WhatsApp's long-term strategy working in close coordination with product and engineering teams.
According to a WhatsApp release, the position is a "senior leadership position that requires product experience as well as a track record of success leading partnerships and business development in India". The company is looking for a candidate with at least 15 years of experience in product-driven companies along with at least five years of experience with payment technologies in India.
Here are responsibilities for an ideal candidate for the position
- Deeply understand and regularly influence product direction and specific product decisions
- Represent WhatsApp’s product strategy in country and drive alignment with partners and stakeholders
- Lead partnership efforts in market, acting as a cross functional leader across WhatsApp and Facebook teams.
- Build relationships with key partner, and other constituents at senior levels
Represent WhatsApp generally in country as needed
- Heavy user of WhatsApps products
- 15+ years of experience in Product driven companies 5+ years of experience with payment technologies in India
- Proven ability to build relationships with key external and internal stakeholders and business leaders
- Proven track record of initiating and successfully driving new business opportunities at a global scale
- Experience working in start-up environments
- Business development experience negotiating complex deals a plus
- Excellent project management experience, with the ability to lead and execute multiple time-sensitive projects
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, and the ability to clarify and summarize complex issues
- BS or MS in Engineering/Sciences/Business
The candidate selected will be known as 'Head of India, WhatsApp'. WhatsApp was acquired by Facebook in 2014. The popular instant messaging service has over 200-million active users in India. Reportedly, the position has been lying vacant since long. According to the release, the position based with the WhatsApp partnerships team in Mumbai.