Guatemala City, June 8: The death toll from the eruption of the Fuego volcano in Guatemala on June 3 has increased to 109 after another 10 bodies were found, according to authorities. On Thursday, the National Institute of Forensic Sciences (INACIF) said that seven of the bodies found were transferred to the morgue of Hunahpu village, in the south of Escuintla Department, and the three others to the central morgue in the capital, reports Efe news.
Thursday morning the spokesperson of the Coordinating Agency for Disaster Reduction, David De Leon, announced the temporary suspension of the rescue operation due to bad weather conditions. The INACIF said that two more casualties were identified on Thursday, an eight-year-old boy and a woman whose age is unknown.
So far, a total of 28 victims have been identified. The strong eruption of the volcano and the constant volcanic activity has affected some 1.7 million people, 12,407 were evacuated, 7,393 transferred to hospitals, 4,137 are living in shelters, 197 are reported missing and 58 were injured, according to data from the relief agencies.
A state of disaster has been declared for the southern departments of Escuintla, Sacatepequez, and Chimaltenango, which suffered the most. According to volcanologists, eruption records of Fuego volcano, one of the country's most active volcanoes, dates back to 1542. At its fiercest, the volcano could spray ash all the way to Guatemala's southern neighbours of El Salvador and Honduras.