A UN official supposed to promote gender equality and youth partnerships is accused of sexual misconduct. Ravi Karkara is the senior adviser for the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women About 8 men have accused of sexual harassment according to a report. The allegations against him go from obscene gestures, inviting guys for masturbation and even sending pornographic links.
The investigation is reportedly ongoing from a year and sources revealed to The Guardian that he abused his position and was taking advantage of young people in the organisation. The youngsters were an easy target as they would not speak against the organisation. Karkara has also been accused of asking sexual natured questions to the young men in the organisation. While other youths claimed he intimidated them by following them on social media. One of the victims, Steve Lee, a 25-year-old said Karkara had grabbed his genitals through his trousers while the pair were alone in a hotel room, back in December 2016. He had complained to his senior managers. The complaint was filed in the month of July in 2017.
Who is Ravi Karkara:
- Ravi Karkara serves as a Senior Adviser Strategic Partnership & Advocacy to the Assistant Secretary-General/Deputy Executive Director of UN Women. He is a trained social worker and is committed to human rights and social justice.
- He has worked in several organisations focusing on gender mainstreaming on the role of children.
- He is the recipient of the prestigious NOVUS Award – that unites global leaders from around the world to tackle today’s big challenges via actionable change. He has also been awarded the Global Officials Award appreciating work on youth and gender equality and the Inter-Faith Award on promoting peace and harmony.
- He has over two decades of experience and written more than 80 publications in his career. Some of his publications have been fundamental in forming the policies at the United Nations in youth-related areas.
- He is also listed among the Top 10 Global Diversity Experts-Consultants produced by Prestigious "Global Diversity List” by BNP Paribas and the Telegraph UK.
- He is apparently a feminist and advocates for girls/women’s empowerment throughout.
- He has served as Global Advisor on Youth with UN-HABITAT.
It is a great irony for a man who calls himself an advocate of human rights and gender equality is alleged of conducting sexual abuse against the young men.