India News | Delhi HC Directs Centre to Provide Additional PSO to Pappu Yadav as Interim Security Measure

Get latest articles and stories on India at LatestLY. The Delhi High Court on Tuesday directed the Central government to immediately provide one additional personal security officer (PSO) to Bihar independent MP Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav, pending a decision on his plea seeking enhanced security cover.

Independent MP Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav (File Photo/ANI)

New Delhi [India], August 11 (ANI): The Delhi High Court on Tuesday directed the Central government to immediately provide one additional personal security officer (PSO) to Bihar independent MP Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav, pending a decision on his plea seeking enhanced security cover.

Justice Manoj Jain said the additional security arrangement would continue until the government takes a decision on Yadav's representation seeking an increase in his security.

Also Read | Bengaluru: One Dead, Rescue Underway as Landslide Hits BDA Underpass Construction Site (Video).

The Court also said Yadav's concerns about his safety need to be taken seriously, particularly in view of the fact that he is a sitting Member of Parliament and an incident has already taken place despite existing security arrangements.

"There is something significant. He is the sitting MP. You boost his security... Despite there being some adequate measures, some incident has taken place. Don't say it [the attack] is made up," the Court remarked.

Also Read | Unmarried Couple Found Dead at House in West Bengal's Birbhum, Police Probe Possible Suicide After Marriage Dispute.

The direction came during the hearing of Yadav's petition seeking Central security cover in Delhi and across the country.

Senior Advocate Shadan Farasat, appearing for Yadav, submitted that the MP had been facing repeated threats and attacks. He said that while the government was considering Yadav's representation for enhanced security, immediate interim measures were required to ensure his safety.

Central Government Standing Counsel Ashish Dixit told the Court that security measures had already been taken and that the government would take a decision on Yadav's representation shortly.

The Court, however, asked the government counsel to obtain instructions on further strengthening Yadav's security as an interim arrangement.

Yadav's petition states that he presently has Y+ security cover in Bihar, but has sought protection extending to Delhi and the rest of the country, citing his parliamentary duties and an alleged escalation in threats to his life. (ANI)

(The above story is verified and authored by ANI staff, ANI is South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 100 bureaus in India, South Asia and across the globe. ANI brings the latest news on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Sports, Health, Fitness, Entertainment, & News. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)

Share Now

Share Now