Agency News

World News | Iranian President Pezeshkian Leaves Iraq for Tehran After US Strikes

Get latest articles and stories on World at LatestLY. Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has departed Iraq and is returning to Tehran, CNN reported, citing Iranian state broadcaster IRIB.

World News | Iranian President Pezeshkian Leaves Iraq for Tehran After US Strikes
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian (File Photo/Reuters)

Tehran [Iran], July 8 (ANI): Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has departed Iraq and is returning to Tehran, CNN reported, citing Iranian state broadcaster IRIB.

Pezeshkian had travelled to the Iraqi city of Najaf to attend the multi-day funeral of former Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, whose body arrived in the city on Tuesday.

Also Read | Ohio: Man Indicted for Allegedly Asking Minor Girl for S*x Acts, Exposing Himself in US.

Pezeshkian left Najaf in the early hours of Wednesday (local time) after concluding his visit to Iraq, CNN reported, citing the state news agency IRNA.

Pezeshkian's return came as the United States launched a series of military strikes against Iran in response to attacks on commercial vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz.

Also Read | K2 Airways Cargo Flight KTA1732 Missing: Search Underway After Boeing 737 Loses Contact Near Karachi.

In a post on X, the US Central Command (CENTCOM) said, "U.S. Central Command forces have begun launching a series of powerful strikes against Iran to impose heavy costs for targeting and attacking commercial shipping crewed by innocent civilians in an international waterway."

CENTCOM said the strikes were carried out after Iran allegedly attacked three commercial vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz, adding that "Iran's demonstrated aggression was unwarranted, dangerous, and a clear violation of the ceasefire."

Meanwhile, several explosions were reported near Sirik and Qeshm in southern Iran, while Iranian state media also reported blasts east and west of Bandar Abbas. Iranian media said multiple explosions occurred at Sirik port after projectiles struck commercial and fishing piers, according to Al Jazeera.

Earlier on Tuesday, the US Treasury Department cancelled a licence issued in June that had temporarily allowed Iran to produce, sell and deliver crude oil and related products through August 21, increasing pressure on Tehran amid ongoing negotiations over a final settlement to the conflict. (ANI)

(The above story is verified and authored by ANI staff, ANI is South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 100 bureaus in India, South Asia and across the globe. ANI brings the latest news on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Sports, Health, Fitness, Entertainment, & News. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)