Chandigarh, July 13: In a bid to ensure safety, security and women empowerment in Haryana, the Manohar Lal Khattar-led Government in the state launched the Android-based Durga Shakti app of the Haryana Police on Thursday. The Chief Minister launched the mobile app at the ‘Ek Aur Sudhar Programme’ organised at Indradhanush Auditorium in Panchkula.
The app will enable women to seek immediate help of the police through Women Helpline Number 1091 in case of an emergency.
हरियाणा में महिलाओं की सुरक्षा के प्रति अपने दायित्व का निर्वहन करने के लिए, हमने Durga Shakti Mobile App launch किया है।
— Manohar Lal (@mlkhattar) July 13, 2018
With the roll-out of the new facility, any woman or girl who is in distress could send information along with her GPS location to the Women Helpline number of her district through WhatsApp just by pressing a red button on the app.
Here's how to download and use the new app:
- The newly launched Durga Shakti app is available on Google Play Store.
- Once the app is installed on your android phone, it is mandatory for a girl/woman to register once on the mobile app to avail this facility.
- Once a person has registered, it asks for details like name, the user’s 10 digit-mobile number, 4 digit pin, emergency number and blood group.
- Once the red button is pressed, she can send information about her GPS location, blood group and other details in form of a WhatsApp message to the Women Helpline number.
- The victim can also speak to the operator at the helpline number.
Additional Director General of Police, Operations, AS Chawla was quoted in reports saying that as of now, the app is currently available on Android platform and shall soon be extended to other operating systems soon.
The move aims to reduce the response time of the police to provide help to women in distress. Chawla described the app as a better communication tool between the victim and police and informed that the PCR vehicle could use the GPS location received on WhatsApp to ascertain the victim’s whereabouts.