Cabinet Approves Rs 5.5 Lakh Compensation For 5,300 Kashmiri Families Which Migrated From PoK
File image of Union Minister Prakash Javadekar (Photo Credits: PTI)

New Delhi, October 9: The Union Cabinet on Wednesday announced a compensation of Rs 5.5 lakh for 5,300 families which migrated from the portion of Jammu & Kashmir which was occupied by Pakistan in 1948. The families were so far not included in the "J&K displaced list" as they had settled in states other than Jammu & Kashmir. With the government including them in the list of beneficiaries, a historical wrong has been undone, said Union Minister Prakash Javadekar.

The compensation is sanctioned under the Prime Minister's Development Package, an umbrella scheme which funds several development projects in Jammu & Kashmir and provides compensation to several among the beneficiaries in the frontier state. Tourists to be Allowed to Visit Kashmir From October 10, Announces Governor.

"It has been decided that 5,300 displaced families (from PoK), who had settled in regions others than J&K but later came to the state, will also be provided Rs 5.5 Lakh each. This will provide justice to these displaced families." Javadekar said while addressing the press.

The Cabinet approval comes nearly two months after the Centre abrogated Article 370 in Jammu & Kashmir, stripping the state's semi-autonomous status. Home Minister Amit Shah had then called it a first in the series of steps to develop the state and uplift all marginalised sections of the society.

Meanwhile, the communication restrictions in Kashmir Valley continue as mobile phone network and internet connections continue to remain clamped down. The government is still tight-lipped on when the restrictions would be lifted, but has reiterated that the steps are aimed at building long-term peace in the region.