New Delhi, August 25: In a tragic incident, a four-year-old girl in Delhi died after her throat was slit by a sharp ‘manjha’ (thread used to fly kites). According to a report by The Indian Express, the girl lost her life after a Chinese manjha choked and slit her throat while she was on the bike with her family in North East Delhi’s Khajuri Khas on Saturday at around 6 pm. The report informs that the victim, identified as Ishika Kumar Sharma, was declared brought dead by the hospital authorities. Delhi: Motorcyclist Dies After Throat Slit by Kite ‘Manjha’ at Flyover in Paschim Vihar.
A case under section 304A (death due to negligence) of the IPC has been registered at Khajuri Khas police station. Atul Kumar Thakur, DCP (North East) was quoted in the report saying that her father was driving the bike and his two daughters and wife were with him when she was injured by manjha.
Describing the incident, the victim’s father Girish Kumar Sharma said the incident occurred when the family was on their way to a temple near ISBT. The family lived in Sonia Vihar in the national capital and were on their way to the temple to celebrate Janmashtami. He said that Ishika was sitting in front of him on the bike and suddenly screamed. After he applied brakes and stopped the bike, he saw cuts on her neck and blood flowing out.
The father said he covered his daughter’s neck with cloth and rushed her to a hospital, where she was declared dead on arrival. He said both his daughters were excited about doing darshan at the temple and had worn new clothes. According to a directive by the Supreme Court, there is a nationwide ban on the procurement, sale and use of the Chinese manjha.