Ranchi, February 11: In a shocking incident, nearly 40 students fell severely ill after consuming Saraswati Puja 'prasad' at a school in Jharkhand. According to a tweet by ANI, the incident took place in Jharkhand's Lohardaga district on Sunday when the school was celebrating Basant Panchami. According to reports, a doctor at the local hospital said two of the 40 students are critical. According to details by the doctor of Sadar hospital, no student is critical and a case of food poisoning is suspected. SS Khalid, Doctor, Sadar hospital says, "40 children have come here till now, one or two are in critical condition. It is a case of food poisoning, we are treating them accordingly." Gangamma Temple 'Food Poisoning': 1 Dead, 6 Others Fall Ill After Consuming Prasad, Police Launches Probe.
Reports inform that the students fall in the age group of the 6-7 years. The food samples have been sent for examination to find out the exact cause. However, the doctors informed that the kids of the school started vomiting after eating the prasad and were soon rushed to Sadar hospital. An investigation into the matter is currently underway. Ratan Mahwar, the District Education Officer of Lohardaga was quoted in reports saying the administration will take action against whoever is found guilty. Karnataka Temple Tragedy: 12 Dead, Over 90 Hospitalised After Consuming Poisonous ‘Prasad’ at Chamarajanagar Temple, 2 Arrested.
Here's the tweet:
Jharkhand: 40 students fell ill after consuming 'prasad' at a school in Lohardaga. S S Khalid, Doctor, Sadar hospital says, "40 children have come here till now, one or two are in critical condition. It is a case of food poisoning, we are treating them accordingly." (10/2) pic.twitter.com/tHMlqV8oE7
— ANI (@ANI) February 11, 2019
In December 2018, nearly 150 people fell ill after they consumed prasad at the Sulavadi Kichchugutti Maramma temple. Of 150, 15 people were killed while others were undergoing treatment at a city hospital. A total of four accused have been arrested, including Mahadeshwara Hill Saluru Mutt seer Pattada Immadi Mahadevaswamy, in connection with the food poisoning incident.