Mumbai, January 17:  Three people died, and one hospitalised after they entered a gas-filled chamber in a sewage plant in Mumbai's Mira Road area to clean the muck inside the sewage plant, said reports. A boy in his late teens was amongst those who died due to suffocation and lack of safety gear. This incident comes just days after three people were killed while cleaning a sewage in Panvel district.

A report in the Times of India said that the workers were sent to clean the plant. The plant was reportedly shut for months and a statement issued by the civic authorities said that the three people died as they entered the plant without any safety gears and due to suffocation because of the gases. Varanasi: 2 Labourers Die After Inhaling Toxic Gas While Cleaning Sewage Tank.

Reports also said that three victims were untrained and that the contractor hired them for the job knowing they did not have the safety gears. The dead have been identified as Muzaffar Moulik, Rafique Mandal, Moufijum. The labourer who is hospitalised, and who alerted others about the three workers lying inside the chamber, is said to be serious and has been identified as Akhtar.

A case of accidental death has been registered and the police will question the contractor, said the report. In a similar incident in Panvel, two labourers and a contractor had died after they entered a manhole in Panvel.

(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Jan 17, 2019 11:54 AM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website