New Delhi, June 3: A special NIA court on Monday directed Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Pragya Singh Thakur to appear before court at least once a week in connection with the Malegaon blast case. Earlier in May, the court had granted exemption to Thakur, Lt. Col. Prasad Purohit and Sudhakar Chaturvedi from appearing before it. The accused persons are facing trial under various sections of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) and the Indian Penal Code (IPC). PM Modi Reprimands Sadhvi Pragya Thakur For Pro-Godse Remark, Says 'Will Never Forgive Her For Insulting Mahatma Gandhi'.
According to reports, the accused said they are busy with poll preparations and can't make it to the proceedings. While Thakur and Chaturvedi said they are busy with preparations for the Lok Sabha polls, Purohit had cited personal difficulties. The court had however, allowed their applications.
At least 6 were killed and several were injured on September 29, 2008 in two blasts in Maharashtra’s Malegaon city. According to reports, radical Hindu outfit Abhinav Bharat is suspected of carrying out the attacks. The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) had filed a chargesheet against 14 right-wing extremists in the case. Sadhvi Pragya Insults 26/11 Martyr Hemant Karkare, Says 'He Died Because He Was Cursed'; Watch Video.
Thakur, who had spent nine years in jail after she was accused of Malegaon blast in 2008, had joined BJP on April 17. The special NIA court is yet to discharge Sadhvi Pragya in the case. In the recently concluded Lok Sabha Polls 2019, terror blast accused Pragya Thakur had won her maiden polls on a BJP ticket. The BJP leader left behind senior Congress candidate Digvijaya Singh and won the Bhopal seat. Even before the final results were out, Thakur had said that she's certain of her victory.