Ravi Das Mandir Demolition Protests: Bhim Army Chief Chandrashekhar Azad, 95 Others Sent to 14-Day Judicial Custody
Dalits protested against dmolition of Ravi Das Temple in Delhi (Photo Credits: PTI)

New Delhi, August 22: All the 96 accused including Bhim Army Chief Chandrashekhar Azad who were arrested in connection with Ravi Das Temple demolition case were sent to 14-day judicial custody on Thursday. An FIR was registered in the case at Govindpuri Police Station. The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) had demolished the temple on August 10 on the orders of the Supreme Court.  Ravidas Temple Demolition: Priyanka Gandhi Hits Out at BJP Government After Protest in Delhi, Says Dalit Voices Must Be Heard.

Meanwhile, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind  Kejriwal on Thursday, speaking in the Legislative Assembly, asked the Centre to pass ordinance immediately to alot four to five acres of land for Ravi Das community. Kejriwal said, "If Centre allots this land, then Delhi govt will get Ravi Das Temple constructed on that land."

After the demolition, thousands of Dalits took to streets between Jhandewalan and Ramlila Maidan in Central Delhi to protest on Wednesday against the DDA’s action. Dalits from several parts of the country joined the protest. Traffic movement was affected in some parts of the city due to this. A similar protest was also taken out in Punjab on August 13. Bhim Army Plans to Install Bust of Ravidas at Site of Demolished Temple.

Meanwhile, The Supreme Court on August 19 said that its orders on the Guru Ravidas Temple in Tughlaqabad forest area in New Delhi could not be given a “political colour”. A Bench comprising Justices Arun Mishra and M.R. Shah asked governments of Punjab, Haryana and Delhi to ensure that no law and order situation is created politically or otherwise during the protests over the demolition of the temple.

The temple, which was located in a protected forest area at Tughlakabad in Delhi was dedicated to the 15th-century spiritual leader Sant Ravidas. The temple was demolished after the Supreme Court upheld a Delhi High Court order. The DDA claimed that the land belonged to the government.