EWS Quota Row: Former Jharkhand CM Hemant Soren Seeks 27% Reservation for Backward Classes in State
Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) president Hemant Soren. | Image Courtesy: PTI

Ranchi, January 8: A day after Narendra Modi-led Union Government announced 10 percent reservation for the economically backward class across all religions, Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) president and former state CM Hemant Soren sought 27% reservation for backward classes on Tuesday. He also demanded the reservation be raised from 26% to 28% for the tribal communities and 5% to the minority community of Jharkhand.

Expressing his demands, Soren said, “Backward classes should be given 27% reservation. We also demand that reservation be raised from 26% to 28% for the tribal communities and 5% to the minority community of Jharkhand.” Currently, in the state, 11% reservation is given to Scheduled Castes, 27% for Scheduled Tribes and 22% for Other Backward Classes (OBCs). These reservations have been granted based on local demographics. Narendra Modi Government Approves 10% Reservation For Upper Castes Ahead of Lok Sabha Elections 2019.

Earlier, the Union government’s cabinet approved 10% reservation for the EWS across religions in the jobs and education sector, which is yet to get approval from the parliament. The amendment bill would be tabled in the Winter Session of the August House today, and political parties are going to discuss on the issue.

The announcement by the Modi government comes months before the Lok Sabha elections and opposition has called this an attempt to woo voters through appeasement politics. However, the ruling party claims that it was a long pending demand.

According to the Supreme Court order, reservations can’t exceed 49.5% in total, and the new move by the government would further exceed the quota slab by 10%, making it 59.5 percent. Mixed reactions from across the nations were received after the announcement.