At least 30 people have died in the violence which has been engulfing parts of South Africa since the country's former President Jacob Zuma handed himself to the police last week, reported BBC. Almost 800 people have been arrested in the unrest which began after Zuma's jailing on July 8. But protests turned violent over the weekend, with fires set, highways blocked and businesses looted. Military has now been deployed to help the overstretched police, reported BBC. Police Minister Bheki Cele told journalists on July 13 that if the looting continued, there was a risk areas could run out of basic goods. However, Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula said there was not yet a need to declare a state of emergency over the violence in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng provinces. KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala said some 26 people had been killed in the province so far, including a 15-year-old boy, EWN reports. Six deaths have been confirmed in Gauteng, reported news agency AFP. Zuma was convicted of contempt of court last month after failing to attend an inquiry into corruption during his presidency. The 79-year-old, who denies corruption, was given a 15-month prison sentence. He handed himself to police late on July 7. Watch the video to know more.