Stockholm, October 7: The 2019 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine was declared on Monday. This year, the prestigious award has been jointly awarded to William G. Kaelin Jr, Sir Peter J Ratcliffe and Gregg L Semenza for their discovery of how cells sense and adapt to oxygen availability. The awardees were decided by the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institute. But this is not all! There are five more international awards making its way. Nobel Prize 2019 in Physiology And Medicine Winner: William G Kaelin Jr, Sir Peter J Ratcliffe and Gregg L Semenza Jointly Awarded Honour.
Every year, six Nobel prizes are awarded for outstanding work in physiology or medicine, physics, chemistry, economics, literature and the promotion of peace. The prize ceremonies take place in Stockholm, Sweden. Each recipient, receives a gold medal, a diploma and prize money of 9 million SEK, approx US$ 986,000 (As of 2018). Why 2018 Nobel Prize in Literature is Awarded in 2019?
Here is the full schedule of 2019 Nobel Prize Announcements:
- Physiology or Medicine – Monday, October 7, 3:00 PM IST. at the earliest.
- Physics – Tuesday, October 8, 3:15 pm IST at the earliest.
- Chemistry – Wednesday, October 9, 3:15 pm IST at the earliest.
- Literature – Thursday, October 10, 4:30 pm IST at the earliest- The Nobel Prize will be announced in Literature for both 2018 and 2019.
- Peace – Friday, October 11, 2:30 pm IST.
- Economic Sciences – Monday, October 14, 3:15 pm IST at the earliest.
Nobel Prize is widely regarded as the most prestigious award in their respective fields. The Noble Prize was established by Alfred Nobel. When he died in 1896, Nobel left a fund of 9 million dollars for the creation of eponymous prizes. The first Nobel Prize was awarded in 1901 in the fields of Chemistry, Peace, Literature, Physics and Physiology or Medicine.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Oct 07, 2019 04:40 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).