Muscat, 24, June 2019: The sultanate of Oman denied Monday that it had sent a message from the United States to Iran after the Islamic republic shot down a US drone in the Gulf. Donald Trump Imposes 'Hard-Hitting' Sanctions Against Ayatollah Ali Khamenei as Tensions With Iran Escalate.
"The reports that have been circulating in the media on the sultanate delivering an American message to the Iranian government about the incident... on June 20, 2019 are not true," the Omani foreign ministry said on Twitter.
تتابع السلطنة باهتمام بالغ التطورات الحالية في المنطقة،وتأمل من الجانبين الإيراني والاميركي ضبط النفس وحل المسائل العالقة بينهما عبرالحوار.وتؤكد عدم صحة ما يتداول إعلاميا من قيام السلطنة بنقل رسالة اميركية الى الحكومة الإيرانية حول حادثة إسقاط الطائرة الاميركية بتاريخ
— وزارة الخارجية (@MofaOman) June 24, 2019
Media reports late last week said Muscat had sent a message to Tehran from US President Donald Trump, warning the Islamic republic of an impending American attack.
A military strike ordered in retaliation for the downing of the US drone was called off by Trump at the last minute. Iran denied on Friday that it had received a message from Trump, and the United States followed suit with its own rebuttal on Sunday. UAE Calls for Talks to Defuse Escalating Tensions After Tehran Shoots Down American Drone
The US envoy for Iran, Brian Hook, said on a trip to Kuwait that Trump did not send a message to the Islamic republic. Hook travelled to Oman on Monday where he met with leaders of the sultanate.