The academic burden on students is humongous which gets in the way of their personal lives and leaves them with little or no time at all for other activities. Time and again, educationists have urged to lessen the load and try to include more sports and life skills education for the betterment of the school students. In a bid to promote that, the National Council of Education Research and Training (NCERT) has decided to reduce the content reportedly by 10 to 15 per cent from the upcoming academic year 2019-20. CBSE Class 12 Board Exam 2019 Computer Science Question Paper to Have Both C++ & Python Languages.
The plan to reduce the CBSE textbook content is an initiative by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) to relieve the youngsters from the curriculum overload. The Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar stated that they are targeting to achieve a 50 per cent reduction in the ‘curriculum overload’ and focus more on “physical education, value education, life-skills education and experiential learning.” CBSE Revises Class 10 & 12 Question Paper Format! List of All Changes Made by the Board for 2018–19 Exams.
Important Points About NCERT Syllabus
1. The content of CBSE NCERT curriculum will be cut down by 10 to 15 per cent from the academic year 2019-20.
2. More time will be given to physical education, value education, life-skills education and experiential learning.
3. The curriculum is expected to be reduced by 50 per cent which is supposed to be achieved by 2021.
4. This year, the content reduction will be 10 to 15 per cent and next year it will more.
5. Social sciences will have more reduction than science, math and languages.
6. All the duplicate and redundant portions will be edited out from the CBSE textbooks.
7. This year, it is expected to produce about eight crore or more NCERT books for class 10 and class 12 students.
The decision has been taken in a meeting of NCERT general council, and the reduction will be done partly every year. Above all, another new step taken by the HRD is to grade states on their performance indicators in education, based on 70 parameters to promote healthy competition and to improve the candidates’ performance.