BJP to Appeal Against Calcutta High Court Order Denying Permission For 'Rath Yatra' in West Bengal
Calcutta High Court (Photo Credit: PTI)

Kolkata, December 6: Hours after the Calcutta High Court denied permission for Bharatiya Janata Party’s Rath Yatra in Cooch Behar district of West Bengal, state party head stated that they would appeal the order to a higher bench on Thursday. The bench earlier announced that it would listen to the matter on Friday, but made it clear that no permission for the rally is granted.

Reacting on the Calcutta High Court's order deferring party's rath yatra, BJP’s state president Dilip Ghosh said, "We’ve to move forward in consultation with the police, that’s why that judgement is valid till tomorrow 10:30 am. We will follow the judgement that will come tomorrow." Calcutta High Court Denies Permission for BJP’s Rath Yatra in West Bengal, Dilip Ghosh’s Convoy Attacked By ‘TMC Goons’.

Speaking on a similar tone, party’s vice-president Jay Prakash Majumdar said, "We will be going to division bench tomorrow morning. We will seek justice that any peaceful democratic movement is permissible under the Indian Constitution."

Expressing his anger over the alleged attack on Ghosh’s convoy by ‘TMC goons’, BJP leader Mukul Roy said, "Today in the presence of police, TMC goons attacked him. To condemn the incident, we're on streets to give notice that if such activities continue, it proves Bengal has no democracy."

Earlier in the day, West Bengal Advocate General Jayanta Mitra said that the state government decided to deny permission to BJP after district collector and SP raised objections. Also, they have written a letter to the chief secretary and the police chief stating that permission for the rally might escalate the chances of communal disharmony in the vicinity.