JLKM Leader Devendra Nath Mahto Takes Water After Sonam Wangchuk’s Appeal, Continues Hunger Strike (Video)
Student activist and Jharkhand Loktantrik Krantikari Morcha (JLKM) leader Devendra Nath Mahato, who is leading an indefinite protest over alleged recruitment exam irregularities, agreed to consume water on Wednesday following a video call with climate activist Sonam Wangchuk.
Student leader and JLKM leader Devendra Nath Mahto consumed water on Wednesday after climate activist Sonam Wangchuk appealed to him during a video call, but said his indefinite hunger strike would continue until the Jharkhand government addresses the protesters' demands over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations. Mahto had been on a complete fast, including abstaining from water, before agreeing to resume water intake on Wangchuk's request, according to a report.
Sonam Wangchuk Urges Protester to Prioritise Health
The development came after Wangchuk spoke to Mahto in a video call lasting around 10 minutes. During the conversation, the activist expressed concern over the student leader's deteriorating health and urged him to at least drink water while continuing his protest. Following the call, Mahto agreed to consume water, saying he did so out of respect for Wangchuk's appeal. However, he stressed that taking water did not mark the end of his agitation and that he would continue to abstain from food until the protesters' demands are met. Sonam Wangchuk Ends Hunger Strike After 26 Days (Watch Video).
Devendra Nath Mahto Takes Water After Sonam Wangchuk’s Appeal
Hunger Strike to Continue
Mahto reiterated that his protest would continue until the government acts on the issues raised by the students. He also appealed to Wangchuk to visit Ranchi, saying he hoped the activist would extend the same support to the movement that he had shown during earlier student protests.
Despite concerns over his health, Mahto maintained that the hunger strike would remain peaceful and would continue until there is a concrete response from the state government. Sonam Wangchuk Discharged From Hospital, To Pay Tribute to Mahatma Gandhi Ji at Rajghat Before Returning to Ladakh (Video).
Protest Over Recruitment Examination Irregularities
The indefinite hunger strike is centred on allegations of irregularities in recruitment examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC), the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) Combined Graduate Level (CGL) examination and other competitive recruitment processes.
The protesters have demanded a fair investigation into the alleged irregularities, cancellation of the disputed examinations and measures to ensure greater transparency in future recruitment.
Government Yet to Announce Decision
The protest has gained attention across Jharkhand as students continue to press for action. Chief Minister Hemant Soren has said the government is committed to ensuring justice for students, but no immediate decision has been announced on the key demands raised by the protesters. With the hunger strike continuing, attention remains on the government's next steps and whether discussions with the protesters can lead to a resolution.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Aug 05, 2026 01:46 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).