Mumbai Building Collapse Latest Update: What We Know So Far About The Tragic Incident in Dongri
Building Collapse in Mumbai's Dongri (Photo Credits: ANI)

Mumbai, July 16: In a yet another incident of building collapse in Mumbai, a four-storey building collapsed in Dongri on Tuesday at 11 am killing three people and much more fear trapped. Following the occurrence, three teams of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), fire brigade and a team of disaster management are present for rescue operations. Mumbai Building Collapse: 12 Dead, 4 Pulled Out From Rubble After Building Collapses in Dongri, Many Feared Trapped.

According to Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) disaster management cell, over 40 people are fear trapped. The building is around 100 years old. So far, five people have been rescued from the site, including a minor. The BMC has opened a shelter at Imamwada Municipal Secondary Girls' School after the collapse. Mumbai: Portion of Under-Construction Building Collapses in Nagpada.

Here's the Video:

Tweet by ANI:

Reacting to the incident, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said, "As per the initial information I have received, around 15 families are feared trapped in the collapse. The building is around 100 yrs old. The entire focus is on rescuing the people trapped. An investigation will be done."

Here's what we know so far about the Dongri building collapse:

  • 15 families are fear trapped in the debris.
  • The collapsed building is around 100 years old.
  • The demolition of the building was ordered in 2012, said Mumbai Building Repair And Reconstruction Board (MBRRB) Chairman Vinod Ghosalkar.
  • The building belongs to the private trust and maybe illegal, said Mhada sources to Times of India.
  • The road from Shalimar hotel to Freeway has been shut.
  • Injured have been shifted to Habib Hospital and JJ Hospital.

Building safety and security are major concerns in Mumbai. In May 2019, BMC identified 499 buildings as "dangerous". Last year, it was 619.