INDIA

NEET UG Re-Exam 2026: NTA Rejects 'Exam Centre Glitch' Claim in Nagpur Case, Says Candidate Chose Abu Dhabi

The National Testing Agency (NTA) has rejected claims that a Nagpur-based NEET-UG re-examination candidate was mistakenly allotted an examination centre in Abu Dhabi due to a technical glitch. The agency said its records show that the candidate himself selected Abu Dhabi as his first preference.

NEET UG Re-Exam 2026: NTA Rejects 'Exam Centre Glitch' Claim in Nagpur Case, Says Candidate Chose Abu Dhabi
National Testing Agency (Photo Credits: ANI)
1
2
3
4
5

The National Testing Agency (NTA) has disputed claims that a Nagpur-based NEET-UG aspirant was mistakenly allotted an examination centre in Abu Dhabi, saying its records show that the candidate himself selected Abu Dhabi as his first preferred examination city and Dubai as the second while making corrections through the online portal. The clarification comes after the incident triggered political criticism and concerns over the conduct of the medical entrance examination, as reported by Hindustan Times.

NTA Says Candidate Changed City Preferences

According to a senior NTA official, the candidate had initially registered with Indian examination cities but later used the correction window to modify his preferences. The agency said its records indicate that Abu Dhabi was selected as the first-choice examination city, followed by Dubai. NEET UG Re-Exam 2026: Rahul Gandhi Slams NTA Over Goof-Up As Nagpur Student’s Exam Centre Allotted in Abu Dhabi.

The official added that the examination centre mentioned on the admit card was allotted in accordance with the preferences available in the agency's database, rejecting suggestions that the overseas centre was assigned due to a technical error.

Family Maintains It Opted for Indian Centres

The clarification comes after the candidate's family alleged that they had selected Nagpur as their preferred examination city and were shocked to find Abu Dhabi listed as the examination centre on the admit card for the June 21 NEET-UG re-test. NEET UG Re-Exam 2026: Nagpur Student Allotted Abu Dhabi Exam Centre Due To Admit Card Error, NTA Promises Correction.

The student's father had earlier said his son does not possess a passport, making it impossible for him to travel abroad for the examination. The family has maintained that the overseas allotment was not based on their submitted preferences.

Political Row Over the Incident

The controversy had prompted Leader of the Opposition Rahul Gandhi to criticise the NTA, accusing it of repeated administrative lapses and raising concerns about the pressure such incidents place on students preparing for high-stakes examinations.

His remarks followed widespread reports describing the allotment as an apparent error and renewed scrutiny of the agency's handling of national entrance examinations.

NTA Reiterates Examination Process

The NTA said candidates are responsible for verifying the details they submit while registering or making changes during the correction window. Officials maintained that examination centres are allotted based on the preferences recorded in the system.

The agency has not indicated whether any further review of the candidate's case will be undertaken.

Issue Sparks Debate Over Examination Management

The episode has generated significant public attention, with differing accounts from the candidate's family and the examination agency. While the family insists Indian examination cities were selected, the NTA maintains that its records show overseas preferences were entered during the application correction process.

The incident has once again highlighted the importance of accuracy in the registration process for national-level competitive examinations, where errors or disputes over application details can have a significant impact on candidates.

Rating:3

TruLY Score 3 – Believable; Needs Further Research | On a Trust Scale of 0-5 this article has scored 3 on LatestLY, this article appears believable but may need additional verification. It is based on reporting from news websites or verified journalists (Hindustan Times), but lacks supporting official confirmation. Readers are advised to treat the information as credible but continue to follow up for updates or confirmations

(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Jun 20, 2026 03:55 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).