'Operation Tiger' Successful: Devendra Fadnavis Jokes 'Operated Body Is Intact' as Eknath Shinde Teases Major Political Development (Watch Video)
The ruling Mahayuti alliance in Maharashtra has declared the success of its covert political strategy, "Operation Tiger," signaling another imminent split within the Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena (UBT).
The ruling Mahayuti alliance in Maharashtra has declared the success of its covert political strategy, "Operation Tiger," signaling another imminent split within the Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena (UBT). Speaking at a joint press conference ahead of the state legislature's Monsoon Session, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis confirmed that the operation had achieved its objective, while Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde dropped strong hints of incoming "breaking news." The statements coincide with high-profile Lok Sabha MP Omprakash Rajenimbalkar (Omraje Nimbalkar) confirming his decision to defect to the Shinde-led Shiv Sena faction.
Top Leadership Confirms the Crossover
Addressing the media, Deputy CM Eknath Shinde asserted his faction’s tactical precision, stating that his team never leaves a political operation half-finished. "You will soon get breaking news. We don’t leave any operation half-finished, and Operation Tiger is foolproof," Shinde said. He criticized the internal handling of the opposition camp, claiming that Shiv Sena (UBT) leaders publicly verbally abuse dissenting lawmakers during the day while privately trying to pacify them at night. Eknath Shinde Led-Shiv Sena Gains Sixth MP as Omraje Nimbalkar Confirms Exit From Uddhav Thackeray Faction.
Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis supported Shinde's claims, intervening in a lighter vein to describe the precision of the political maneuvers. "The operation is successful and the operated body is intact," Fadnavis stated, reinforcing that the shifting layout of the state's parliamentary representation is stable.
The Impact of Omraje Nimbalkar’s Shift
A central figure in the latest shift is Dharashiv MP Omraje Nimbalkar. His decision to join the Shinde faction comes immediately after a special CBI court acquitted all accused, including former state home minister Padamsinh Patil, in the 2006 murder case of his father, Pawanraje Nimbalkar. Nimbalkar noted that he had spoken with both Shinde and Fadnavis, who facilitated a discussion with Union Home Minister Amit Shah to assure his family that the CBI would appeal the verdict in the High Court on its merits.
Explaining his decision to switch allegiances, Nimbalkar pointed to developmental stagnation in his constituency and the Sena (UBT)'s recent failure to secure seats in local body elections. "We lost because we were not in power. As I am not part of the government, I couldn't do much for the people in the last two years," Nimbalkar explained, clarifying that his move was driven by a need to deliver public works rather than personal gain or fear of central investigative agencies. ‘Just the Trailer, Full Picture Yet To Come’: Eknath Shinde’s Fresh Swipe at Shiv Sena (UBT) Amid ‘Operation Tiger’ Buzz.
'We Never Leave Any Operation Half-Finished'
OPERATION TIGER IS FOOLPROOF SAYS @mieknathshinde
OPERATION IS A SUCCESS - @Dev_Fadnavis pic.twitter.com/GC9VLDRn1P
— 🦏 Payal M/પાયલ મેહતા/ पायल मेहता/ পাযেল মেহতা (@payalmehta100) June 21, 2026
Understanding ‘Operation Tiger’
"Operation Tiger" represents a coordinated multi-month effort by the ruling alliance to engineer defections from the diminished Thackeray loyalist camp. The current momentum built rapidly after six of the nine remaining Shiv Sena (UBT) Lok Sabha MPs skipped a crucial parliamentary meeting in New Delhi earlier this week.
Alongside Nimbalkar, Hingoli MP Nagesh Patil Ashtikar has also confirmed his crossover, citing a lack of development funds and derogatory internal remarks directed toward independent-minded lawmakers.
Under the provisions of the anti-defection law, a breakaway faction requires at least two-thirds of the party's elected members to merge with another party or form a separate bloc without facing disqualification. With six out of nine UBT Lok Sabha members reportedly coordinating their exit, the rebels have reached the exact legal threshold required to bypass disqualification, dealing a significant blow to Uddhav Thackeray's national parliamentary presence.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Jun 21, 2026 11:23 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).