Afghanistan came agonisingly close to winning yet another match but lost it at the end as they failed to contain nerves and Imad Wasim in particular. Imad Wasim and Wahab Riaz provided the finishing touches to Pakistan's nervous chase as Pakistan won against Afghanistan by three wickets to stay alive in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. With this win, Pakistan have gone up to the fourth position on the points tab in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. Pakistan vs Afghanistan, ICC CWC 2019 Match Highlights: Imad Wasim, Wahab Riaz Guide PAK to 3-Wicket Victory.
Chasing 228 runs to win, Pakistan were struggling at one point with 167-6 in 36.4 overs, requiring 61 runs off 80 balls with just four wickets remaining. But with 46 runs needed off 30 balls, Imad Wasim hit 18 runs in the 46th over by Gulbadin Naib to get Pakistan back in the game. Wahab Riaz struck a four and a six off Rashid Khan in different overs to further help Pakistan. Afghanistan vs Pakistan Match Full Scorecard.
Check Out Some Stat highlights from SL vs SA CWC 2019 Match Played at Headingley, Leeds
1. Pakistan pacer Shaheen Afridi became the youngest player to claim a four wicket haul in world cups. The 19-year-old achieved this feat during the Pakistan vs Afghanistan match as he picked four wickets for 47 runs in his 10 overs.
2. Shaheen Afridi now has four- four wicket hauls in his ODI career. He is second only to Waqar Younis when it comes to number of four wicket hauls in ODIs for a 19-year-old.
3. This was the narrowest wins in this world cups in terms of balls left. Pakistan won the match by 3 wickets with only two deliveries left.
4. The top scorer of the match was Imad Wasim, who scored 49 not out to guide Pakistan to victory. This was the first complete match in this World Cup to not have even a single half-century or a century in a match with a result.
5. This was Afghanistan's eighth consecutive loss in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. They were earlier tied with Zimbabwe for most consecutive losses in a single edition of the world cup.
6. Mohammad Amir, the second highest wicket-taker in the tournament, went wicketless in the match against Afghanistan in his full 10 overs.
With this win, Pakistan are well and truly alive in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. They have now moved up to the fourth spot in the points table. Pakistan is currently ahead of England in the ICC CWC 2019 points table and standings. They have nine points from eight matches in the tournament so far and have one more league match pending, where they will face Afghanistan on Friday, July 5.