Defending Champions Portugal edged past Luxembourg 2-0 in the final group stage match to qualify for Euro 2020. Bruno Fernandes and Cristiano Ronaldo were the scores as Portugal secured their place in next year’s tournament. With a goal against Luxembourg Cristiano Ronaldo has moved within one goal of 100 International goals. If he manages to reach this milestone, he will become the first European player to achieve this feat. The only other player to score a century of goals for his nation was Ali Deai from Iran who scored 109 goals in 149 appearances. With 100 international goals quickly approaching for Ronaldo, we take a look at some other records held by the Portuguese superstar. Cristiano Ronaldo Poses With Teammates After Leading Portugal to 2-0 Victory Against Luxembourg in Euro Qualifiers 2020 (See Instagram Post).
Ronaldo started the night with 98 international goals and would have fancied his chances to get two more in this match. However, things didn’t go according to plan as the Juventus missed a lot of chances in the game but scored late-on to secure his team's win. The Portuguese hasn’t been in great form for his club but his form wearing the Portugal jersey suggests that he can break the record before the European Championships next year. Let’s take a look at some of the records held by the Juventus star-man. Cristiano Ronaldo Mocked by Crowd With Messi's Chants During Portugal vs Luxembourg Euro Qualifier 2020 Match (Watch Video).
Records Held by Cristiano Ronaldo:
- Following his hat-trick against Lithuania and a goal against Luxembourg, Ronaldo is now the top scorer in European Championship qualifiers with 31 goals from 35 appearances.
- The Juventus forward has netted a hat-trick in 12 different countries: Lithuania, Portugal, Italy, Russia, Spain, Japan, Armenia, Sweden, Turkey, Northern Ireland, Netherlands and England.
- Ronaldo has scored 99 goals in 164 caps for Portugal and is just one shy from reaching a century of goals and becoming the first European player to do so.
- CR7 has scored 55 hat-tricks for club and country in his astonishing career, followed by Lionel Messi who has 52 hat-tricks.
- Following his goal against Luxembourg, Ronaldo has scored 706 goals for club and country.
Euro 2020 is scheduled to start on June 12, 2020 and it will be the 16th edition of the European championships. The tournament will be held in 12 cities across 12 European countries (Azerbaijan, Denmark, England, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russia, Scotland and Spain). Portugal are the defending champions as they defeated France in 2016 final to win their first-ever European Championship.